I’ve updated and audited a few Environmental Management Systems or EMS to the new ISO 14001:2015 standard. Here are my top 5 tips on how to update your EMS.
Top 5 ISO 14001:2015 Tips
- Make sure your EMS aspects include all parts of a life cycle. A third-party auditor is looking for cradle to cradle consideration of your aspects. This means looking at the start of the process right to disposal.
- Senior management needs to play an active role in the EMS. Think about accountability, roles and responsibilities. If you are having to put out fires, why? Who is not taking responsibility?
- The supply chain needs to be included even if you are just in the phase of education. If you have some real pull, make sure your suppliers agree to limit hazardous materials from their operations or confirm they are saving energy. When they save money, you save money so this is a win-win situation.
- Although it is still not necessary to improve your impact on the environment, make sure you are. Third-party auditors are looking for metrics now that show a clear improvement.
- Reach out to other organizations who have updated their EMS. Also, check out ISO’s information package on the updated EMS ISO 14001:2015 standard here.
BTC Environmental can help. Please contact us today.